Monday, August 18, 2008

Revenge of the POD People- #21-POD-CASTS

My dear cousin the MAC-maniac who is semi-retired at the moment has tried for many long years to convert me to Apple-ism. His latest thing is to get me to get an iPod and download the Pod-casts he recommends. I'm still waiting for the prices to come down but part of me resists having one more thing to do and part of me is resisting his nagging just because it is nagging. I have to have a compelling reason to lay out the expenditure and time. It would be a bit different if he were giving me one-- of course.

Still- I can see some reasons to shell out the dough. A friend of mine plans to buy an iPod and load it with books and videos so she can carry with her on her trip to Serbia and Ukraine so she won't be bored during the long plane ride. That I can agree with. With airlines laying on the excess baggage charges, it would be nice to have lighter carry-ons. So (don't tell my cousin), I'm open to the possibilities - if I could afford the iPod with the bigger screen for video viewing, that is!

I added the RSS feed for North Suburban Library System director Sarah Long's Longshots podcasts to my Bloglines account. I found this via Media-fly beta which is the search engine connected to Podnova. I was glad NOT to have to load one more piece of software to my poor overworked PC. Did I find anything useful here? Well....the podcast froze up halfway through the Podcast on the uses of podcasting. Nice bit of irony, that. It was interesting up to the point it stopped. The voice quality wasn't good since it was a recorded phone conversation. I can see podcasting readings of stories for children, downloading of podcasted books for teens and adults, downloading recordings of lectures and talks, downloading episodes of TV shows for playback whenever and wherever you wish. But---shhhhhh--- don't let my cousin know I'm weakening!

No comments: